Rust is the enemy of any griddle. It’s the enemy of every cook, be it a seasoned griddle master or a first-timer. How to clean a Blackstone Griddle that has rust? Not only does rust ruin the surface of the griddle, but it also leads to food sticking to the surface and uneven cooking.
But fret not, for there are ways to clean Blackstone griddle rust and restore your Blackstone flat-top grill. Here’s an exhaustive guide on cleaning Blackstone griddle rust, how to prevent it from happening in the first place, and how you can clean it to revive your Blackstone flat top grill.
What do you need to clean?
- A paper towel is a microfiber cloth.
- Metal Scraper
- A mild cleaning liquid preferably dishwasher liquid
- Pumice grill stone
- For any cooking oil, you don’t have a Brush or scouring pad (non-metallic)
How to clean a rusty flat Top Grill?
Wiping the grill down with a paper towel and oil after each use can help prevent rust from forming.
- Cleaning a rusty flat-top grill is possible with the right steps.
- In this case, you should first scrub the surface of the grill clean with a brush or sponge.
- After that, you can use a steel wool brush to brush off the rust.
- To restore the grill grates to their original condition, you can use steel wool or sandpaper to clean them thoroughly. If the grates have become heavily rusted, you can apply oil to them and scrub gently with a brush or sponge.
- When washing the grill, make sure to clean it thoroughly so no residue remains on the surface of the grill grates.
- Finally, you can use dish soap or detergent to clean the surface of the grill grate thoroughly.
- The iron oxide in the residue could be harmful so be sure to remove it completely before cooking on the grill again.
How to Clean a Blackstone Griddle?
- Wipe with a folded wet rag between courses and let the griddle cool down to prevent burns.
- Scrape well using a griddle scraper all residue into the debris chamber.
- Use hot water and scouring pads if necessary on stubborn debris.
- Apply 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil to the flat surface and wipe it clean with a paper towel to season it. Besides, you may use olive oil to clean it.
- Pour vinegar on the griddle’s cooking surface, then use a scouring pad to scrub off the surface till it is squeaky clean, and wipe the surface with a paper towel.
This should clean the griddle of any rust or residue left behind. As long as you follow the steps above, the griddle will be in good working condition.
How to Clean a Blackstone Griddle that has rust?
Here is the best way to clean a Blackstone Griddle that has rust.
1st step: Remove cooked food particles from the cooktop
Scrap all of the food and juices off the cooktop with a metal scapula. After that, use a paper towel to clean off the grease.
If any particles are still stuck on the cooking surface, spray them with hot water to loosen the food residue, and then try to scrap them again.
2nd step: Scrub the cooking surface gently
Gently scrub the cooking surface without soap or a wire brush using either the Blackstone scouring pad or brush. Wipe off any water remaining with a paper towel after rinsing the surface with warm water.
3rd step: The griddle should be seasoned and dried prior to cooking.
Dry the griddle with a microfiber towel. Use one or two teaspoons of your chosen cooking oil and a paper towel to wipe everything down. Spread the oil over the surface by using a paper towel, which you should use on every part.
Coating the griddle in oil will help to prevent sticking and make the surface non-stickier.
How to prevent rust on Blackstone griddle
Now, let’s see how to prevent rust on Blackstone Griddle with details.
- Regularly season the griddle with oil to create a barrier that protects it from moisture.
- To clean rust off of the griddle, use a paper towel rag to gently wipe away the rust residue. Avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals, as they can damage the griddle’s surface.
- To store the blackstone griddle, keep it in a dry place, such as a well-ventilated area, from bathrooms. This will prevent the griddle from getting damp.
- Invest in a heavy-duty canvas cover for added protection from humidity. This will help preserve the Blackstone griddle’s surface and keep it looking clean.
- Avoid exposing the Blackstone griddle to moisture, such as from the beach with high humidity. This can lead to rusting of the griddle’s surface.
- Gently wipe away rust with a paper clean rag to help prevent scratches. Apply oil after each use and use Cast Iron Conditioner to season the Blackstone griddle.
How to get the rust off cast iron flat top Grill?
You can either scrub the grates with grill stone or wire brush. In case the grates are cast iron, the rust can be easily removed by scrubbing it with steel wool.
Before attempting to remove rust, you should know if the grates are made of iron or stainless steel. For iron grates, you can use a wire brush or grill stone to scrub the surface of the griddle. Once the rust is removed, wipe it down with warm water and let it dry completely. You can clean them with salt water or vinegar and sandpaper.
You can also use warm soapy water to clean the griddle surface of the Blackstone griddle. As rust has formed only on the surface of Blackstone griddles, you can easily clean it using these steps.
How to clean a Blackstone Griddle for the first time
1st Step: Prepare the Cleaning Solution
2nd step: Clean the kitchen surfaces with a damp cloth.
3rd step: Wipe down and air-dry the cooking surfaces
4rth step: Seasoning the Griddle
Cleaning Blackstone griddle with salt
A Blackstone griddle can be easily cleaned using a technique called the salt draw.
You’ll need hot water, salt, and a paper towel. Pour hot water on the surface of the griddle to loosen the food residue, then wipe it dry.
Next, gently spread the salt on the surface of the griddle with a scapula or other tool.
Finally, use a paper towel to clean the griddle. Vinegar can also be used to clean the Blackstone grill.
A good way to clean a Blackstone griddle after each use is to immerse it in hot water and vinegar for 10 minutes. This will help clean the surface of the griddle and prevent the build-up of food residue.
How to restore a Blackstone griddle?
If your griddle has rust, the first step to cleaning it is preheating the griddle to the desired surface temperature. This should take 10-15 minutes for the griddle surface to become super dark and almost burnt.
After preheating the griddle, apply a thin layer of cooking oil to the surface of the griddle and wipe clean with a paper towel.
Next, scrub the rust from the griddle with a stiff brush. It’s important to clean rust thoroughly so that it doesn’t accumulate on the griddle again. To clean any residue, use 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil as a cleaning agent.
The key is to restore your Blackstone griddle with some love and elbow grease. It can be an easy way to add a little extra flavor to any cooking experiment.
Brown spots on Blackstone griddle
Brown spots on Blackstone griddle can be caused by various factors, such as the griddle’s surface being dirty or oil residue left behind by the previous use of the griddle.
- Wiping the griddle with an oil-soaked paper towel can help prevent brown spots. Preheating the griddle and using a good amount of oil when cooking can also reduce the risk of brown spots.
- Scrubbing the griddle with hot water, scouring pads or a griddle scraper can help remove brown spots. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the griddle will help prevent brown spots.
- If you have black spots on your Blackstone griddle, ensure that the surface is clean and free of oil residue. Also, check the seasoning of the griddle regularly to ensure it is fresh and has a top-notch seasoning.
By the way, if you need to clean your swig Lid then read this article.
People also ask to know
Why is my Blackstone griddle rusting?
Rust is a metal-eating process that starts with iron and other metal oxides being deposited on the surface of the metal. Over time, the metal surface becomes covered in rust, which can then be accelerated by moisture and humidity.
High acidity in foods can also contribute to rusting due to the interaction of the iron with acids in the food. This can happen when acidic foods are cooked on an older griddle that is corroded from corrosion of the metal itself. The high acidity of the food also speeds up the rusting process.
Lastly, steaming foods directly on the griddle surface can also cause rust on the surface of the griddle. This is because the moisture produced during cooking bubbles up and forms little rusts on the surface of the griddle.
How to clean a Blackstone griddle?
To clean a Blackstone griddle, follow these steps:
1. Wipe the griddle with a folded wet rag after cooking and allow it to cool down to prevent burns.
2. Scrape the surface well with a griddle scraper and wipe all residue into the debris chamber.
3. Hot water and scouring pads can be used on stubborn debris.
4. After cleaning, reseal the seasoning with an oil-soaked paper towel.
5. Regularly season the griddle with 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil and wipe clean with a paper towel.
What are the different steps involved in cleaning a Blackstone griddle that has rust?
To clean a griddle that has rust, first wipe the surface with a wet rag. Let the griddle cool before scraping off debris with a griddle scraper.
Use hot water and scouring pads to remove stubborn debris.
After scraping off the debris, wipe the surface with an oil-soaked paper towel to “reseal” the seasoning.
Apply a thin layer of oil to the surface and scour the non-stick surface to remove rust.
Finally, season the surface with fresh oil or cast iron conditioner to prevent rusting.
As you can see, cleaning a blackstone griddle is not as difficult as you’ve probably thought. All of the necessary steps have been mentioned above. Take one of the griddles to the backyard and scrub it with sandpaper and a brush to remove the rust. Its original shine oil it to protect it from further corrosion.
If the griddle has surface rust, clean it with salt, scrubbing the surface with it, followed by warm water and a paper towel. Another way of cleaning Blackstone griddles is by using vinegar or lemon juice to scrub the surface of the griddle.
Let us know if you have any further questions on Blackstone griddle cleaning in the comments section below.